Guerlina Philogène (EUROBIZ) wins Thomas R. Pickering Fellowship

As she is about to graduate, Guerlina Philogène, freshly returned from her intership in Germany, receives the prestigious Thomas R. Pickering fellowship for graduate study:

“The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Graduate Fellowship Program is a program funded by the U.S. Department of State, administered by Howard University, that attracts and prepares outstanding young people for Foreign Service careers in the U.S. Department of State.  The Pickering Fellowship offers a unique opportunity to promote positive change in the world.  Upon successful completion of a two-year master’s degree program and fulfillment of Foreign Service entry requirements, fellows have the opportunity to work as Foreign Service Officers in accordance with applicable law and State Department policy, serving in Washington, DC and at a U.S. embassy, consulate, or diplomatic mission around the globe.”

Guerlina spent the last years soaring in the EUROBIZ dual degree program and receiving great honors already before going abroad by being named a Gilman Scholar for 2022-23. She has now shared her goals within a longer article published in UConn Today:

“I have always tried to be a peacemaker and interested in conflict resolution, and I think that is why I am interested in foreign diplomacy,” says Philogene. “I want to hear both sides of an issue and I can’t make a decision until then. I want to hear a lot of information before I make a concise opinion that will hopefully help both sides.”

CONGRATULATIONS – we are so proud of your many accomplishments!